Friday, September 9, 2011

Technology and Theology; More than Just Words that Sort of Rhyme

OK, I'm an anomaly.  An enigma.  A mystery wrapped up in a riddle.

I think I'm discovering technology.

Not in the "I'm Al Gore and I invented the internet" sense.  And not that my wife and I read Dickens by candlelight.  I just mean I've been learning about all sorts of cool toys lately.

Why didn't anyone tell me about these things???

My latest obsession is the Nook.  For those of you even less savvy than I, the Nook is Barnes and Noble's e-reader.  Think Amazon Kindle, but more democratic.

NOTE: Amazon is an online book seller.  To be online means to be accessible over the internet.  For more on the internet, see the above paragraph re: Al Gore.

I've already asked my wife to get me a Nook for Christmas, and I'm holding back with all my might from buying one beforehand.

Why this new obsession?  I just discovered that a) with a Nook I could actually check a book out of my local library without actually going there, meaning no little old librarians could "shh" me;b) that with a Nook I could carry a bible (yes, there are e-bibles!) at significantly less weight (plus lots of other books, commentaries, etc.); and c) it would be fun to shock people in church who saw me reading a Nook instead of a "real" bible.

Other new technology?  Well, truth be told not new to me, but at yesterday's Worship Cohort meeting, some of the other Worship Leaders learned about Planning Center and Service Builder, two online worship planning tools.

Also discussed was the increasing use of tablets on the platform during worship, and a floor button that allows the musician to turn pages with his/her foot.

What does all this have to do with technology you ask?  Well, it makes me wonder sometimes how much is too much.  Where is that line between using useful tools that God has provided to facilitate our worship of Him and worshiping the tools themselves?  How easy it is to slip into a sense of inadequacy because I pray, but do not iPray or e-vangelize.

If you have been made aware of the internet, how about commenting below with your thoughts???

No comments:

Post a Comment