Friday, October 21, 2011

When You Have Nothing to Write

OK, I'm new to this blogging thing, so here's a question to you veterans:

What do you write about when you have nothing to write about?

This is odd for me.  I'm not exactly new to writing.  I created and wrote for two newsletters in college.  I wrote tons of papers (some even interesting) in business school and seminary.  I've done commentary level theological research for pastors of megachurches.  I've even written a song or two.

And each time, though I may have started out staring at a blank page (or blank computer screen) eventually something would click and my little fingers would just start clicking away at the keyboard, joyously emptying my cluttered mind of its most important thoughts and leaving only cartoons and the words to "Underdog" behind.

But today I'm blank.  Nada. Zilch. Nothing.

And even worse, last week I was out of town and never got around to writing.

So how do I stay disciplined to share my thoughts with a waiting and devoted audience (does 2-3 people make an "audience"?) when I have nothing worth sharing??

PLEASE comment.  Maybe it will inspire me to write something of note (pun intended).

4 comments:

  1. You could start with why all telephone and cable companies suck... and then maybe imagine how they measure customer service to make it look like they're really not that bad.

    Actually, I did find a link on blogging once... I'll see if I can find it again for you. It had some great suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I'm quite proud that I was able to write a whole blog on not having anything to write. Makes me feel like the Seinfeld of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Below is one site I found. Something I also do occasionally is scan my previous FaceBook updates and then I elaborate on them in my blog. Of course, I have a different sort of blog. Twitter can be a great place to brainstorm ideas.

    http://www.successfulblogging.com/blog-post-ideas/

    ReplyDelete