Friday, May 11, 2012

An Encouraging Word. No, I Really Mean It!

Today, a non-political post. And today, a word of encouragement for all my pastor friends.

We actually can be happy even when every last church member isn't what we think they should be.

If you're like me, you frequently miss the "doers" while you focus on the "non-doers."  You fret and worry and pray over those who aren't as faithful as you'd like, or don't serve like you want, or otherwise don't live up to your standards.

But you know what?  The Apostle John didn't think that way.

In 2 John 4, the apostle writes,

I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father (emphasis added).

What a liberating verse!  To think that this apostle, one of Jesus' inner three, the one whom tradition holds survived being burned in oil before being exiled to the Greek isle of Patmos could write to a church leader that he rejoiced greatly that some in the church were obedient simply stuns me.

It stuns me because I'm not sure I know any pastors who consistently think this way.

Not to whine or brag, but the bible says that pastors will be held accountable for their flocks.  I take that warning very seriously, as do the others I know.  And because you can't really do this without caring for people, it pains you when you see God's children living lives of unfaithfulness.

John knew the warning, and in John's letters (OK maybe not so much in Revelation) you see his love for people ooze from the seams.

Yet, he could report that knowing that some people lived according to God's word made him rejoice.  And not just rejoice, but rejoice GREATLY.

Lord, help me see those around me who love You and keep Your commandments, even before I see those who don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment