Friday, August 17, 2012

The Ultimate Twitterer

I got back on Twitter this week.

I know, you all have longed for the day when I might again share my wit, insights, and wisdom in 140 characters or less, so rejoice!  Your day has come!

On a side note, wouldn't it be great if we could limit one's speech to 140 characters?  But I digress.

Throughout the week, I have entertained (mostly myself) with various comments, observations, and the ever popular "retweet", where one can pass on the wit, insights, and wisdom of someone else.  I even learned how to link my Twitter account to my Facebook account, so now such pithiness can easily be shared with a larger audience.

And as I sat to write today, it occurred to me that the Holy Spirit is the Ultimate Twitterer.

I know I just lost some of you.  Some have simply moved on. Some have deleted me as a friend, follower, etc. on all of your various social networks.  And some are now praying for my soul.

But hear me out.

Isn't that how the Spirit works?  Doesn't He often remind us, lead us, and teach us in small digestible bites?

Thinking about how your brother needs to get his act together like you have?  Psst- Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? (106 characters including spaces).

Thinking about how hot that girl/guy at the next table is?  Psst- everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (103 characters with spacing)

Thinking about how you really ought to do something but you don't want to?  Psst- whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin. (74 characters with spacing)

Worrying about the future? Psst- dont b anxious abt ur life wht u will eat or wht u will drink or abt ur body wht u will put on.Isnt life > food & the body > than clothing? (140 characters exactly.  What, the Spirit can't abbreviate??)

You get the picture.  While some deride the use of technology in the Church and lament some perceived loss of personal interaction, in a very basic way God uses a similar philosophy.  He often communicates with us in short reminders to set us back on the right path.

Maybe that's why Jesus used the image of the sparrow in Matthew 6.  Cuz sparrows "tweet"!

C U soon,
Matt 

No comments:

Post a Comment