Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Milkbones and the Bread of Life

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger....  (John 6:35 ESV)

My dog loves treats.  I'm guessing she's not unique.

My wife plays a game with her, usually several times a day. where she takes treats and hides them around our bedroom.  Brandy then explores all over the room, sniffing out each place where she knows a treat has been left before.  It's funny how a dog who can remember where a treat was hidden once can't remember anything else, but I digress.

Eventually, accepting the fact that all of the treats have been eaten, she goes into the"roll around, rub against all the furniture (and mommy) phase of the game" until, you guessed it:

She wants another treat!

All this while her bowl of dog food remains uneaten and untouched, as still as when it was last filled.

And I watch her play, and realize that we are no better when it comes to God.

We'd prefer to hunt out tiny fractions of treats than fill ourselves with the more nutritious "bowl" of divine kibble.

Before you think I've lost it (or even if it's too late), hear me out.  How many of us spend more of our energy reading little devotionals, "liking" verses on Facebook, or relying on promise boxes rather than sitting and deeply drawing from the well of God's word?

Jesus said He was the bread of life, and He would fill us forever.  Why don't we stuff ourselves with Him rather than settle for the crumbs that fall from human hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment