Friday, December 16, 2011

Google and a Gift from God

Funny how God cares even for the little things.

My weekly "to do" list tells me that I must blog on Fridays.  OK, maybe a little anal, but it works to instill some discipline into my writing.

Problem.  I don't know what to write about.

Correction.  I didn't know what to write about.

I thought maybe I would write something in which I could refer to the below video, mostly because I am still laughing at it.  But as I tried to figure out what to write, nothing came.

Then I tried to sign in.  And God gave me a topic.

Passwords.  Need I say more?

No doubt the Google black helicopters will double their patrols over my house (why do you think street view exists?), but I hate the problems I have signing into my Google account.

As I tried to sign in today to write the piece that I hadn't figured out how to write yet, the password stored on my computer wouldn't work.  Then I remembered; last week I wanted to comment on a friend's blog, Google demanded that I sign in (even though I was already signed in), gave me some nonsensical error message, and made me change my password.  And since my feeble mind can't remember the hundreds of passwords that the Sheldon's of the world demand, I had to reset it yet again.

Problem.  Google is very picky about how you choose a password.

I tried changing my password to my current password that I use for just about everything else.  Nope, can't use a password I've used previously.

I tried something else that would be easy to remember.  Nope, I've used that one too.

In frustration I try changing my password to "ihategoogle."  Nope, this one is rejected because it's too easy.  OK, that made me laugh.  I'm guessing that it's easy because that's everyone's default reaction to the process.

Finally I am allowed by the Google gods to change my password to..... (betcha thought I was gonna finish that sentence, didn't you)?

Seriously, I never thought I'd have to put more thought into choosing a password to write a blog than into the blog itself!

Thank you for reading,
signed keilw71100!!kshn3



p.s. here's the funny video I made reference to above.  Though I am generally not disposed to favoring a playoff for college football, this video's producer makes an interesting case.  Now if I could just understand why the English have a role in this....

2 comments:

  1. I did some consulting for a government contractor and their password requirements were the most ridiculous. I had to store my passwords in my phone because there were about 14 (one for each system/ application) and they all had different and yet specific requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, the government is usually so efficient.

    ReplyDelete